[nycphp-talk] Why is there no 'PHP Foundation'?

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 15:36:29 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Chris Snyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not something that needs to happen, but it's worth thinking about,

if for no other reason then to prevent a bunch of different, incompatible
> forks of PHP if Zend ever goes dark.

I don't think there is a clear copyright owner for PHP. When I made my tiny
contribution (possibly to tiny to legally copyright) to PHP I never had to
sign away copyright to anyone and I never heard of anyone signing a
copyright assignment document (unlike mongodb and sharpdevelop). If Zend
ever went dark I'd expect Microsoft and IBM and the other big corporate
stakeholders to actually play nice with each other. The community
contributors will keep on keeping on.

The open office foundation did not stop the forking of Libre/Open office. It
didn't even stop the NeoOffice fork (who I've actually given money to) from
happening.

Justin