[nycphp-talk] Why is there no 'PHP Foundation'?

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 14:06:38 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Justin Dearing <zippy1981 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as advocating PHP in the enterprise, I think Zend, IBM and Jetbrains
> do fantastic jobs of that. Why do we need a non-profit to cater to
> for-profits?

I agree that Zend has been a pretty good steward of PHP.

But Java folks said that about Sun, and look where they are now.
Companies (and their IP) get bought and sold. Putting PHP in the hands
of a foundation would help insulate us from the eventual
sale/merger/acquisition/bankruptcy/profit-motives of Zend. It's not
something that needs to happen, but it's worth thinking about, if for
no other reason then to prevent a bunch of different, incompatible
forks of PHP if Zend ever goes dark.