[nycphp-talk] PHP graphics programming for a template

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 17:45:14 EDT 2012

Thanks for helping me make sense out of all this! Just to make sure I
have this right...

So to get the highest possible printing quality, return to the graphic
designer and ask for the template image generated as a vector graphic?
What file format should that be in ready for programming image overlay
manipulation? Since jpeg and png don't support vector graphics, what
file format should this be from the graphics designer? I've seen them
generate PSD (PhotoShop) files, but I'm unfamiliar with SVG if they
support that?

Once the vector graphic file is made available, the software developer
needs to output the overlay manipulation in PS (PostScript) or SVG?

With the final output file in PS or SVG, should these files contain
everything needed to align it for printing? Such as margins built into
it? What do the printers use to send the file to the printer? Rather,
what should they use?

I'm familiar with PS (PostScript) and EPS, where at least under UNIX I
could pipe them to the PostScript printer and that's all that was
needed. Is this perhaps what print shops do with PS or SVG files?
Thanks!

David Roth