[nycphp-talk] Learning to program the right way

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 14:20:14 EST 2012

I can't speak for anyone else's experience other than my own, but when I
went to get my degree in CS I was exposed to version control, unit testing,
code reviews without sacrificing any other of the core topics associated
with the degree.

Most of those "non-core" cs tools we're taught in the first 3 classes, and
then we were expected to learn the rest on our own.

As far as I'm concerned, school isn't the end all be all to learn
everything there is to be a competent programmer. It's a starting point to
teach you how to learn.