[nycphp-talk] Performance testing on Windows Server 2008 & MySQLi performance hit

Woh Roh faltubay at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:14:25 EDT 2012

Hi All,
I have two questions-

1) A client has requested that their virtual server be upgraded from 1gb to
2gb ram so that the application runs faster and can handle more users.
Before upgrading the server, I want to run performance tests to measure the
before / after effects.  Which tool would you recommend for this php
application which is on Windows Server 2008?

2) Part of the reason for upgrading is that the application has taken a
HUGE hit in performance after we updated mysql connections to mysqli and
moved most of the php files above the web root folder.  I researched online
for performance hits after moving to mysqli but no where found anyone
discussing such a drastic setback.  With xdebug, I see the mysqli
connections are the culprit and perform 2-4 times slower than before.  When
testing with the PHP MySQL Benchmark Tool v. 0.1 (
http://unbeknownst.net/?p=321) scripts, I don't see a big diff between
mysql and mysqli queries.  Anyone else seen this issue??

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

-Faltu