[nycphp-talk] Web browser quality

Anirudhsinh Zala arzala at gmail.com
Fri May 11 23:36:08 EDT 2012

On Saturday 12 May 2012 01:06:05 Hans Zaunere wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So, in a mix of rant-and-feedback-gathering - is it just me, or have
> browsers largely gone downhill in the last few months?
>
> Chrome:  freezes continually with 1mb view source.  Seems more worried about
> trying to get me to login to the mothership and track my social networks,
> than actually being a browser that can download text from a web server.
> And, if I would so happen to want to reload a page (crazy, right?), it's so
> hell-bent on caching everything that I have to restart it to see any new
> content - control-r, forget about it.  Guess they want their browser to be
> "fast" :)
>
> Firefox:  what happened to my friend?!?  Great, now we get a new release
> every few minutes, but it crashes, can't correctly repost a form (everything
> is always expired), view source hangs or won't display the source of a POST,
> and it won't even copy the HTML out of Firebug into a text editor...
> control-c doesn't capture anything!  Not to mention it's using 800mb of my
> RAM and renders pages about as quick as a 286.
>
> IE9:  so, disable cache for all requests; that's handy.  Fast, but will
> actually re-request the page from the server when told to do so.  Developer
> tools aren't great, but it's not using 1gb of RAM either.  View source is,
> eh, well...
>
> These are all the latest version of these browsers.  Though right now the
> best I've found is:
>
> wget -O - test.site/something | less
>
> So that I can actually see what the server is spitting back - and it works
> like a charm :)
>
> So am I missing something here, or... anyone else having these types of
> problems (more so) of late?

I Agree with most of issues mentioned here. They are even worse on Linux OSes (of course not IE). But I think another important factor in bad behavior of certain browsers or version is Level of integration of 3rd party contents. Today a typical webpage contains only 50% native conent. Rest content are loaded from various 3rd party websites based on various criteria be it 3rd party banners, Promoted ads, Social integration, Integration of forum discussion etc.

I am sure various frontend tools and technologies (specially JS and Ajax) used in delivering them as well their server response time plays major role in rendering native webpage. And any possible complexity in any of above non-native content could possibly hang, distory, cramp native web page also.

Anirudh Zala