[nycphp-talk] What Distro?

Anthony Ferrara ircmaxell at gmail.com
Fri May 18 15:46:12 EDT 2012

Federico,

> Dudes, I've an Amazon AWS account and I just got a Rackspace account, now I
> need to configure a Linux server for a LAMP stack. In AWS I've installed
> Debian, but somebody suggested me Gentoo because of the smaller footprint,
> what's your suggestion?

Personally, I stick to CentOS / RedHat for any server installation.
Ubuntu/Debian is fine as well.  I'd stay away from Gentoo and to a
more package based server, unless you have a dedicated server admin
(just from the overhead of maintenance).

I just have never had luck with the dependency management of APT when
installing bleading-edge (latest release) stable packages...  But
plenty of people have, so it's a fine alternative.

More, it's personal preference.  Do you prefer the debian approach?
Do you prefer the RedHat approach?  Go with what you're comfortable
with...

Anthony