[nycphp-talk] What Distro?

Marc Vose suzerain at suzerain.com
Fri May 18 15:53:11 EDT 2012

Le May 18, 2012 à 15:46 , Anthony Ferrara a écrit :

> Federico,
>
>> Dudes, I've an Amazon AWS account and I just got a Rackspace account, now I
>> need to configure a Linux server for a LAMP stack. In AWS I've installed
>> Debian, but somebody suggested me Gentoo because of the smaller footprint,
>> what's your suggestion?
>
> Personally, I stick to CentOS / RedHat for any server installation.
> Ubuntu/Debian is fine as well.  I'd stay away from Gentoo and to a
> more package based server, unless you have a dedicated server admin
> (just from the overhead of maintenance).
>
> I just have never had luck with the dependency management of APT when
> installing bleading-edge (latest release) stable packages...  But
> plenty of people have, so it's a fine alternative.
>
> More, it's personal preference.  Do you prefer the debian approach?
> Do you prefer the RedHat approach?  Go with what you're comfortable
> with...

I'd echo this.  I'm using CentOS, personally, and the biggest reason is my comfort level. It's true that there are slight variations in footprint among the distros, but the difference between that is probably smaller than the difference in the amount of energy consumed by your comfort level, or lack thereof. So on a new project I like to start with what I'm most comfortable with and work from there.

When it gets to the point where you need every single ounce of performance, it probably means there are more resources to work with, and then maybe a switch can be made (with help).

Cheers,
Marc