[nycphp-talk] What Distro?

Hans Zaunere bulk at zaunere.com
Fri May 18 17:11:32 EDT 2012

> > Dudes, I've an Amazon AWS account and I just got a Rackspace account,
now I
> > need to configure a Linux server for a LAMP stack. In AWS I've installed
> > Debian, but somebody suggested me Gentoo because of the smaller
footprint,
> > what's your suggestion?
>
> Personally, I stick to CentOS / RedHat for any server installation.

Same here - I've used Cent for years and am always happy with it.  Couple
gotchas here and there when building svn/apache/PHP types of things, but
always easy to get around and I actually prefer CentOS to RHES at this
point.

In terms of footprint, it's easy to get down to 700mb with basically only
ssh running as a stock image.