[nycphp-talk] Semi-OT: Is there a scale for language competency?

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 18:31:25 EDT 2013

On 7/26/2013 8:51 AM, leam hall wrote:
> Not that I'm looking for a job right now, but there's always the
> future. Is there a reasonably common scale for saying how good you are
> with a programming language? Something more than "Rate yourself on a
> 1-10" scale.
>
> In my case I can read several and am trying to improve a couple. It
> would be nice to be able to concretely convey my skills. Of course,
> that doesn't really cover related skills like version control, SDLC,
> etc...
>
> Thoughts?

The only scale I know of is "beginner/expert"...  Studies show that for
beginners, productivity and code quality increase dramatically when they
adhere to a set of code quality rules, version control guidelines, etc
as agreed upon by the expert coders in the group.

At the same time, productive and code quality DECREASES dramatically for
the expert programmer when they are asked to adhere to those same rules.