[nycphp-talk] Programs rights and Lic etc.

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:02:21 EST 2013

Not that it helps much, but his argument isn't valid. We all pay for
software we can't own or re-sell, but make full use of it. I think your
reasoning for keeping the copyright is very valid, because it would be a
pain in the neck to track and seek permission each time you wanted to base
a new project on an existing one, especially if you got turned down.

You could consider having a written agreement which gives him the option
(for a limited period of time like 2 years, after which you retain all
rights and control and it reverts to a non-exclusive license) to be able to
sell the software in return for perhaps a percentage of sales or an
additional fee. Or write the agreement where he does own the entire
copyright for a higher fee to start with. Kind of a pay me now or pay me
later agreement. Sometimes it's better to give clients a choice of things
so they can select what is most important to them. If he feels very
confident in his ability to sell this he may be able to justify the higher
fee to own it all. Or doesn't mind waiting to see how he does with selling
it and it cost him nothing extra until it starts to be sold.

It would also be a good idea talk with an attorney who specializes
in Intellectual Property which covers copyrights, patents, etc.

David Roth