[nycphp-talk] CentOS v Ubuntu

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 10:35:40 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Hans Z <zaunere at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Actually, I take this back - it sucks.  I just had the honor of setting
> up Ubuntu for a project... I had to Google to find out how to get a command
> line prompt in it's UI, and then sort through the Amazon/MP3/etc
> advertisements on the desktop it installed.  Not to mention the 25% usage
> when idle so that it could draw all the pretty pictures for ads.

I haven't actually setup Ubuntu since the advertizing thing happened. That
does suck. Why not do a text install and then add your favorite window
environment? The CPU usage is disappointing considering Unity's original
incarnation was in the lighweight "netbook respin" of Ubuntu, which BTW was
an awesome release.