[nycphp-talk] CentOS v Ubuntu

Hans Z zaunere at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 10:25:00 EDT 2013

> I am having a debate in our office over whether to continue with CentOS
>> distro for use with our VM based servers (XEN) or switch to Ubuntu.  I have
>> kept the belief that RedHat is better for servers while Ubuntu is preferred
>> on the desktop.  I even have an Ubuntu desktop PC.  Just wondered what all
>> of you think or recommend.  Thanks.
>>

> I'm always in favor of CentOS.  Nothing particularly against
> Ubuntu/Debian, but I just don't have any reason to switch to the

Actually, I take this back - it sucks.  I just had the honor of setting up
Ubuntu for a project... I had to Google to find out how to get a command
line prompt in it's UI, and then sort through the Amazon/MP3/etc
advertisements on the desktop it installed.  Not to mention the 25% usage
when idle so that it could draw all the pretty pictures for ads.

Sorry, just had to rant a bit :)