[nycphp-talk] CentOS v Ubuntu

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 13:41:22 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Nicholas Hart <nhart at partsauthority.com>wrote:

> I am having a debate in our office over whether to continue with CentOS
> distro for use with our VM based servers (XEN) or switch to Ubuntu.  I have
> kept the belief that RedHat is better for servers while Ubuntu is preferred
> on the desktop.  I even have an Ubuntu desktop PC.  Just wondered what all
> of you think or recommend.  Thanks.
>
> Best,
> Nick

I prefer a distribution that is as stripped down as possible, so that I add
only the things that need to be there. Any distro that installs an X server
by default is out.

But really, choice of distro is a personal preference, like choice of text
editor. They all do the same thing, but in subtly different ways. Go with
what the sysadmins will be happiest working on.