[nycphp-talk] GIT! (was: CentOS v Ubuntu)

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Sat Jun 22 09:50:27 EDT 2013

Hi Hans:

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 02:43:52PM -0400, Hans Z wrote:

> I'm always in favor of CentOS.  Nothing particularly against Ubuntu/Debian,
> but I just don't have any reason to switch to the newest trendy thing.
>  Sort of like moving from svn to git :)

Well, then.  That's one more vote for Ubuntu/Debian in my book. :)

Git (and distributed version control in general) is _so_ much better
than SVN.  Using Git for the past 2.5 years has improved my quality of
life.  I just started working at a company that's still using SVN
(Hi, Jesse!).  It's deadening my soul.

The ability to commit, branch, stash, et al, locally amazing.  Plus the
ability to have local hooks and the things you can do on the server with
hooks is mind blowing.  Here are two tools I use with Git:

https://github.com/convissor/git_push_deployer
http://tbaggery.com/2011/08/08/effortless-ctags-with-git.html

The sadness of going back to SVN inspired me to make this package:

https://github.com/convissor/ctags_for_svn

See you,

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/
        4015 7th Ave #4, Brooklyn NY 11232  v: 718-854-0335