[nycphp-talk] GIT! (was: CentOS v Ubuntu)

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Sat Jun 22 10:17:24 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Daniel Convissor <
danielc at analysisandsolutions.com> wrote:

> Well, then.  That's one more vote for Ubuntu/Debian in my book. :)
>
> Git (and distributed version control in general) is _so_ much better
> than SVN.  Using Git for the past 2.5 years has improved my quality of
> life.  I just started working at a company that's still using SVN
> (Hi, Jesse!).  It's deadening my soul.
>
> The ability to commit, branch, stash, et al, locally amazing.  Plus the
> ability to have local hooks and the things you can do on the server with
> hooks is mind blowing.  Here are two tools I use with Git:
>
> https://github.com/convissor/git_push_deployer
> http://tbaggery.com/2011/08/08/effortless-ctags-with-git.html
>

> Hi Dan,

You must be aware that you can use git locally to interface with SVN?

See brief tutorial:
http://viget.com/extend/effectively-using-git-with-subversion
Manual: http://git-scm.com/docs/git-svn

Side note, I found this https://github.com/sushdm/git_svn_externals for
dealing with svn:externals, if you need to fetch those externals in order
to use/build the software.  But you should manage any changes/patches to
externals in their own proper tree.

~ Greg