[joomla] Any thoughts on why Joomla missed out?

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 06:35:07 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 2:19 PM, forest mars <compustretch at gmail.com> wrote:

> At the risk of this being a drive-by troll, however (since there really
> were a number of excellent points made) at some point one really has to
> acknowledge that the Drupal development model is just a better fit for the
> way people would like to see the government operate, namely that is a highly
> co-operative structure with clearly delineated areas of responsibility in a
> way that Joomla may not disagree with,but has not really effectively
> implemented. There are quite a number of lower level synergies as well (not
> to mention the gross disparity in enterprise penetration between the two
> systems) and without reducing the decision process to a J vs. D polemic,
> there really are a greater set of affinities on the one side, much more so
> than the other.

One thing I do prefer in drupal is that they choose the jquery model.  While
I prefer to program in mootools when given a choice, mootools is not a good
choice for a CMS where you expect to have many people developing
applications that work in conjunction with your own.  It simply increases
the chance of, from the users perspective, random pages not working properly
because of javascript function name clashes.  Jquery is the appropriate
choice when you not might have, but actively encourage the combined of
multiple application into one.

On the flipside...neither drupal or joomla ensure good code.  My experiences
with troubleshooting drupal sites have been all negative - but not because
of drupal.  Because the person who implemented Drupal, rather than using the
content management system to...oh...manage content instead goes through and
hacks the core code to display little snippets of html on certain pages.  So
then when someone wants those snippets changed, I have to go through and
figure out what he did. :-)

> Of course one also has to recognize the myriad connections in Drupal's
> development history with political organisations, (e.g. Dean's campaign,
> which was really the precursor to Obama's "Internet victory.") Drupal in
> general just has a much greater involvement in that space. Also (and I
> realise I run the risk of being snarky here) it wouldn't surprise me if a
> look at the numbers revealed Joomla was being used in more instances for
> Republican candidate/official's websites; this is based on actually seeing
> Joomla used more on that side of the political spectrum. (With the notable
> exception being a certain unnamed Fox news site.) Not trying to incite a
> polemical debate here, I'm just sayin…

Interestingly, I have found a no political leaning on the Congress
websites.  Each representative has their own web page, and I don't know if
their using a shared server or VPS, but they have a broad mix of different
applications.  Some ASP based content management systems, a lot of Wordpress
sites, and a few Joomla ones.  I don't recall seeing Drupal on any.  One of
these days I'd like to figure out some way to automatically scan all 538(9?
does DC's non voting rep have a page?) website pages and add up the CMS's in
use.