[joomla] Joomla 1.7.3 - warning about PHP temporary directory

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 03:44:28 EST 2011

I installed Joomla 1.7.3.  I noticed a warning in the Extension Manager: Warnings

The PHP temporary directory is the directory that PHP uses to store an uploaded file before Joomla! can access this file. Whilst the directory not being set isn't always a problem, if you are having issues with manifest files not being detected or uploaded files not being detected, setting this in your php.ini file might fix the issue.

This is on my in-house CentOS server, and everything is set to 755 on the path. I've not seen this message with  previous versions of Joomla. I Googled and see people have had this issue before and most reported that changing permissions didn't fix it.

Is there a fix for this, or is this a bug that should be reported? Thanks!

David Roth