[joomla] Drupal and Joomla

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 23:02:42 EST 2012

Hi Anthony.

There is logic to selecting something which has good documentation, is
widely available and well supported. While several of my friends who I
greatly admire their skills prefer Python over PHP, and Postgres (and
others DBs) over MySQL, emacs over vi, I find life generally easier
sticking with LAMP for the reasons I just mentioned. There are times when
the need is highly specialized and after careful study something which
isn't popular and might very well be in beta will do.

As for a CMS, yes, you are right they store information in a database and
display it on a web page. But the same could be said for accounting systems
and there are tons of those too with different interfaces and features.
What it comes down to is you are the developer or user, which is going to
make things easier for you to do what's needed. Think about what kind of
web projects you want to do, see if there are websites done in Joomla and
others doing what you want. Then look at it from a developer's prospective.
As for a user, I'm referring to the administrative part of the CMS. Whoever
is going to be the Admin for a CMS is going to have to learn how to do the
job and there is going to be a learning curve regardless of the CMS
selected. An Admin for one website might be an actual webmaster while at
another it might be someone who's computer skills so far have only been
using a Desktop system running parts of MS Office. So while we might feel
as a developer the given CMS is great, someone given the task of Admin
might feel more overwhelmed with one CMS than another so this has to be
taken into account.

Just a few thoughts to ponder. As they say, your mileage will vary. :-)

David Roth