[nycphp-talk] yahoo and php

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 12 18:02:48 EST 2002

--- Carlos A Hoyos <cahoyos at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I didn't see M. Radwin's speak on phpcon, but for what I read in the
> slideshow, it seemed that he was "making the case" on a personal
> basis, rather than a formal yahoo statement.
> But I've also seen some (few) headlines about the "portal giant
> embracing PHP for new development".
>
> Anybody has an idea of what's happening with yahoo and php?

As Bryan pointed out, some headlines have been misleading, but Yahoo!,
as a company, is in-fact adopting PHP.

I've been in contact with M. Radwin, and to the best of my knowledge,
Yahoo! is based primarily on yScript and additional technologies,
developed inhouse and in C/C++.  They are looking to use PHP's
extensibility by C, and integrate yScript with PHP as a framework for
daemon, OS and external communication.  As Yahoo! engineers often do,
they know a good thing when they see it, and see that PHP's nativity to
C, manageable syntax, flexibility and a great development community,
offer a lot of value.

=====
Hans Zaunere
New York PHP