[nycphp-talk] PHP bulletin board, a new order, suggestions?

jon baer jonbaer at jonbaer.net
Fri Dec 5 21:26:18 EST 2003

Well ... Ive recently modded phpBB (which despite the contrary) to accept "forum subscriptions" which takes the place of a mailing list.  Ive notice that *no* board does this which I found suprising.  Basically on the profile Ive added subscriptions:

[  ] Forum Name

In which its more or less like "Notify me of replies in this forum/category" (vs. thread) ... then in the email have a reply link back to the board ...

The other pretty neat feature is using the bad words regex replacements to cross link into your FAQ or a glossary for defining words.  (or anything to help newbies without getting more intermediate/advance users frustrated in broad topics/forums) ...

I find all php boards code crap - but either one once you have a know of what each part does u can really just run + go with it ... the security mess is all over the place i think, its not something that just pertains to that app ...

- jon