installing mysql extension for php

Matthew Zimmerman mz34 at nyu.edu
Wed Feb 5 13:05:51 EST 2003

Hey guys,

I recently set up a Linux Sever running Redhat 8.0

I have MySQL 3.23.54, Apache 2.0.40, and PHP 4.2.2 running.

Today was the first today I tried to make them talk to each other
(using phpMyAdmin) and I received this error in my web browser:

cannot load MySQL extension,
please check PHP Configuration.

The phpMyAmdin documentation says:

[1.20] I receive the error "cannot load MySQL extension, please check
PHP Configuration"

To connect to a MySQL server, PHP needs a set of MySQL functions called
"MySQL extension". This extension may be part of the PHP server
(compiled-in), otherwise it needs to be loaded dynamically. Its name is
probably mysql.so or mysql.dll. phpMyAdmin tried to load the extension
but failed.

When I type :php -m" from the command line I received

[PHP Modules]
yp
xml
wddx
sysvshm
sysvsem
standard
sockets
shmop
session
pspell
posix
pcre
openssl
ncurses
iconv
gmp
gettext
gd
ftp
exif
domxml
dio
dbx
dba
curl
ctype
calendar
bz2
bcmath
zlib
imap
ldap

[Zend Modules]

So, how do I install the MySQL extension. Do I need to recompile PHP? I
looked around the PHP.net site a bit but couldn't find a clear answer.

Matt