[nycphp-talk] RIP problem on Linux Box...

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 17:03:44 EST 2003

--- Kerem Tuzemen <keremtuzemen at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't know if it's OK to post this message here but I've the feeling that
> some of the Linux gurus in this list might help me.
> Personally, I'm not a brilliant system admin but I can read and learn. My
> problem is that a linux box which stays behind our firewall doesn't seem to
> catch RIP announcements from a VPN Server (win2k)  upon client connections
> whereas all other win boxes do.
> I've googled the RIP protocol and found that I need to run gated or routed
> to catch RIP announcements on the network. Is there any other simple way to
> make a linux box catch those (which doesn't necessitate gated or routed,
> since I'm not going to use it as a router or gateway, I only want it to
> update it's routing table) or is it necessary to run a routing deamon?

I haven't done routing in ages, but IIRC you'll need a route daemon to
respond to RIP broadcasts, and if I'm not mistaken routed is favored over
gated.

> Any docs, urls, suggestions are highly appreciated.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-05/routing_04.html
http://lartc.org/

and I know a lot of the guys at http://nylug.org do this type of work and