[nycphp-talk] cache frameset

Brent Baisley brent at landover.com
Wed Mar 26 14:08:18 EST 2003

Framesets are a function of the browser, not the server. The server
just serves up pages so it doesn't know that one page is related to
another. When the browser notices a frameset page, it requests other
pages from the server. So aside from the standard caching mechanisms,
there is not much you can do.

However, you may try using iframes instead. I like the way iframes work
far better than framesets. But until recently browsers handled iframes
differently, so you have to know your audience. Your pages still won't
load instantly, but your main page with display first.

The only way I can think of displaying everything immediately is to use
Javascript on the client side to build the pages. All your page code
would be present in one page and you would use document.write() to
build the content of your frames.

--
Brent Baisley
Systems Architect