[nycphp-talk] AOL, sessions

Jeff Siegel jsiegel1 at optonline.net
Thu Oct 23 17:27:42 EDT 2003

Here's the situation. On my client's website, a user fills out several
forms. Values get passed from form to form. Before the final submission
of all of the data, it all gets "cleansed" by a number of data
validation routines. All this is working fine. After submitting all of
the data, it all gets dumped into session variables (i.e., the post
variables get dumped into the session variables) and the "Thank You"
page takes the session vars and performs various functions. Again, all
of this is working correctly.
When going from the final page to the "Thank You" I use the following:

header("Location:$http://{$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']}/used_auto_parts_request
/used_auto_parts_request_thanks.php?code=" . session_id());

The "Thank You" page grabs the session ID and then performs its stuff.

This works quite nicely *UNLESS*, it seems, someone is using AOL and
it's built-in browser. Not every AOL user has a problem but some do.
It's not obvious how to even troubleshoot this (of course...I don't have
AOL so it's hard to test it). The only info I could get was that the
user has AOL 7.0 which should have IE 5.5.

Any clues/hints are greatly appreciated. Is something being overlooked?

Jeff Siegel