[nycphp-talk] mysql authentication and php - building php for windows

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Tue Sep 23 17:57:55 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Judy Bello wrote:

> I just installed php version 4.3.3, apache2.x and mysql version 4.1 on
> Windows.

This is a nasty combination of versions. You can't run these together,
and surprisingly enough, it's not the fault of Apache 2.0. :)

If you want to use MySQL 4.1, you need the mysqli extension, which is
PHP 5 only. Unfortunately, you need to not only be running the latest
CVS (well, actually BitKeeper) version of MySQL 4.1, you probably also
need to use the latest CVS of PHP 5.0. (So, you can't, for example,
download MySQL 4.1a and use that with PHP 5.0 beta 1.)

MySQL 4.1's in alpha and PHP 5.0's in beta and PHP's Apache 2.0
support is non-production quality, so draw you own conclusions. :)

> This is all very frustrating because I am accustomed to working in
> linux or some other unix and working with gnu tools where you have a
> lot of freedom.  But I am not sure that would work to get a viable
> windows executable and set of dlls.  Does anyone know if this can be
> done?  Is there any kind of package for building Windows php?  Is
> there a simpler solution that I am not seeing?

I looked into getting this running on Mac OS X and/or Redhat
Linux. It's a super pain-in-the-ass. I was looking at installing
BitKeeper just to get the MySQL sources *and* upgrading autoconf and
bison to get MySQL to build. And I already had a working version of
PHP 5.0 building from CVS!

I wouldn't suggest trying it on Windows. I would suggest using MySQL
4.0 instead as that is the best of all the crappy alternatives. You
could also do what I'm doing: waiting until a newer version of MySQL
4.1 is released as a binary. A third option is looking to find a
built-from-CVS binary version of MySQL 4.1 and trying something from
http://snaps.php.net/.

That may work, but now that MySQL 4.1 is GPL, PHP cannot currently
distribute the MySQL client libraries due to "issues." (That are being
worked on.) So, YMMV.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!