[nycphp-talk] Today's Meeting. Templates

Nasir Zubair lists at ny-tech.net
Tue Sep 23 23:09:01 EDT 2003

Hello everyone,

Today's meeting was great, It was nice to attach faces to some of the
regularly seen names on the list :)

I just wanted to comment on templates discussion that went on today. All
three presenters did their parts pretty well. The thing that bothered me was
that both Daniel and Chris sort of implied that the "designers" are fairly
dumb creatures, who only know HTML, or XHTML, and are completely oblivious
to the whole realm of scripting. We all know that in today's market almost
every designer has had some kind of experience with scripting, be it PHP,
ASP, CF or even JavaScript. Unless they hands you the design in form of an
image file, which will qualify them as an artist rather than a web designer.

Officially, my stance on the templating engine is not a solid one. I
recently setup smarty for a client, a painful process to setup with no root
access, but it worked out quite well. I'll probably play around with PHPLib,
however, last I looked at it, it totally confused me with the way blocks
work. Most of my projects don't use an external templating engine, mostly
everything in php, evals, includes, etc. etc.

- Nasir