[nycphp-talk] Today's Meeting. Templates

Daniel Kushner nyphp at websapp.com
Tue Sep 23 23:38:56 EDT 2003

> Today's meeting was great, It was nice to attach faces to some of the
> regularly seen names on the list :)

it was nice to meet you too!

> I just wanted to comment on templates discussion that went on today. All
> three presenters did their parts pretty well. The thing that
> bothered me was
> that both Daniel and Chris sort of implied that the "designers" are fairly
> dumb creatures, who only know HTML, or XHTML, and are completely oblivious
> to the whole realm of scripting. We all know that in today's market almost
> every designer has had some kind of experience with scripting, be it PHP,
> ASP, CF or even JavaScript.

Neither Chris or I never implied that designers are dumb. In todays market
you can find many 'Jack of all tades'. I have worked with amazing designers
and many of them did not know any programming what so ever. Not knowing a
program language(s) does not mean that one is dumb. Being able to let a
designer concentrate on what he/she does best, will result in a better
product.
I am positive that there are many good designers that know how to program,
but when I look for a solution, I would like it to fit most cases.

A word about PHPLib: it takes time to get used to! I did not go into
details, but without adding anthing else to the HTML (besides variables and
blocks), PHPLib Templates can do ANYTHING that you need be done with the
template. I have build many commercial and complex sites with it (where the
designers of the site did not know how to program :)).

--Daniel