[nycphp-talk] DB for large datasets

Steve Manes smanes at magpie.com
Thu Aug 12 11:01:29 EDT 2004

Tim Sailer wrote:

> Well, if Oracle didn't work, I'd be surprised. However, the data
> stream is quite large, and the Oracle server I'd have to use would be
> not on the local machine, which, in my uninformed opinion, would be a
> bottleneck itself. Anything local should be better. I'm hoping that
> Postgres will work.

We're using PostgreSQL 7.3 on Trafficmac to do ad trafficking and
maintain ad and banner statistics/billing for some very busy web sites
(FoxNews, Wall Street Journal, MSN, SmartMoney) and it's not failed us
yet, and these are shared servers running on commodity hardware.

Databases should run on dedicated servers anyway where, if nothing else,
they're not in competition with other services for resources and where
you can add more web servers as traffic increases.