[nycphp-talk] trouble with PHP5 CGI Suse 9.1 - client denied by server configuration

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 14:29:31 EST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:07:14 -0500, Jayesh Sheth
<jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com> wrote:

> <rant>
> Xampp for Windows really spoils you. Once you have downloaded the
> sources for 10 different libraries from 10 different sites, built them
> using 10 distinct set of ./configure directives, located the settings,
> binaries, log files, libary, source directories for Apache andMySQL -
> all in different places -, then built PHP three different times using
> different configure directives, and then fought with Apache over one
> Apache directive overriding another, then wondering why  your particular
> distribution moved some configuration file from some/obscure/directory
> to someother/obscure/directory, you realize how wonderful Windows DLLs
> are. If you need a particular extension on Windows, all you have to do
> is uncomment it in php.ini and restart XAMPP. But no, on Linux you have
> to first go through the whole compile song and dance - first for the
> libraries you want, then again for PHP. I may not have said this before,
> but Thank God for Bill Gates and Microsoft for have spared me this
> misery of compilation so far! (If only Windows weren't so easily
> hackable, WAMP would be an AWESOME platform.)
> </rant>

Great googely-moogely!  What in the world are you trying to use?  For
every linux distro I ever installed (redhat, fedora, debian, knoppix,
gentoo, suse, mandrake, slackware, CentOS, RHEL, dyne|bolic, ubuntu,
and others I have forgotten) you have an automated way* of installing
all of this.

* apt-based or rpm-based (with apt): apt-get install php
php-postgresql php-imap blah...

Even gentoo was just an emerge away, and the most primitive system I
know of (FreeBSD) has packages available...  What distro you using,
jurrassic linux?  Did it come on floppies?

(rimshot)

Hey everybody, we gotta save Jay, he's trapped in some sort of
wormhole and only has slackware with the 2.0 kernel!!!

-- Mitch, with an evil grin