[nycphp-talk] php install, libphp4.so? on debian

Eric Rank erank at isthmus.com
Tue Feb 17 12:39:21 EST 2004

Hi Brian,

I had some trouble building and installing PHP on debian maybe a month and a
half ago. I'm fairly new to debian as well (and linux too for that matter),
but its starting to warm up on me. Eventually, I did get php to build and
install from the source. However, I built it with a new build of apache2
(also from source) and I think this is how it worked:

When building apache2 I had to make sure to use the debian installed libtool
(/usr/bin/libtool), not the one that came with the new apache2. This was
something I had to do in the configuration of the build of apache2. After
that, the build and install went just fine. Although, I did find that I had
to do a LOT of library installations in order to get the features from php
that I wanted. Woody is quite stable, but has a bunch of older libs that the
current PHP needed... That was the difficult solution.

Here's the easy one:

put this line in your /etc/apt/sources.list file. This site has a package of
the current version of PHP.

deb http://debian.moolfreet.com ./

then do an
# apt-get upgrade

I think that's all you need to do. Restart apache and you should be set.
But keep in mind this advice is coming from a total linux nooobee. It worked
for me though. This let me upgrade to PHP 4.3.4 from the 4.1 that installed
with the general stable install about a week and a half ago.

Check out aptget.org for more non-standard packages you might want.

Eric Rank