[nycphp-talk] GD transparency w/ Gif89a?

putamare jeffknight at mac.com
Sat Jan 10 22:29:31 EST 2004

If you're that worried about png support, output the image as a JPEG
(or even as a link to a downloadable tiff, if lossy compression itches
you the wrong way), assuming you only need transparency in the various
layers that comprise the image and not the final "card" itself. Many
installs have the ability to read gifs, but not output them, and some
just don't bother with them whatsoever, so the odds are you can
probably use gifs for the components. On the other hand, you could just
as easily use png, since the output file format doesn't have to match
the input format, so it really doesn't matter what the browser can and
can't accept. I'd even go so far as to suggest for better performance,
save all the styles, frames and other commonly used images in the
intermediate gd2 native format and save yourself a little processing
time in the conversion process.