[nycphp-talk] Development environment?

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Thu Jul 29 21:52:18 EDT 2004

Kamm, William R (Bill), ALABS wrote:

>I develop on Windows XP Professional myself.  As much as I like to bash
>M$, XP is their best OS yet, and is more stable than previous ones (no
>more blue screens).  Portability between my Windows box and my LAMP host
>is not a problem.  I like Dreamweaver, and am considering adding another
>Macromedia product - Fireworks - for image editing.  Anyone have any
>experience with that?

I bought a new laptop a couple months ago and out of sheer boredom (and
laziness) I just kept XP.  Eventually found Wintel counterparts to all
of my needs, and rely heavily on Macromedia's environment now
(Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash).  Thanks to firefox and thunderbird, I
am comfortable on any platform.  The only thing I miss?  Code folding.
Sure wish I could collapse those hairy classes and just look at the few
functions in that script without having to hit page up forty
times...(grumble grumble)

On to fireworks, I started using Photoshop with the Mac IIcx (Bush's
daddy was president I think), working my way to the SGI workstation of
doom; and then switched off to Gimp on Linux when it became usable.
When I first started playing with Fireworks, I just couldn't figure out
how anything worked, and had to see some tutorials to grok the
interface.  Then, I just couldn't trust it, because it had automated
stuff that took forever to do in Gimp.  But it worked, and well.

Now I can do something in Fireworks and it takes minutes, something that
would take the whole dingdong day with anything else.  I think you will
be just fine, as long as you spend the time to learn the Fireworks way
of doing things(tm).

-- Mitch