[nycphp-talk] The Difference Between OutSourcing and OpenSourcing is More Than a Few Letters

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Wed Jun 30 14:16:27 EDT 2004

inforequest wrote:

> The threat is used all the time, but in my exerience good people who
> are threatened leave -- as opposed to settling for less pay. Maybe
> they don't lave right away, but they commit to leaving at first
> opportunity.
>
> When a company burns its internal social assets it is doing so with a
> purpose; it has already made a decision to abandon the workers for a
> value proposition. Workers should not ignore those signs. It is my
> belief that most "sick" organizations are sick because management has
> made the decision, but failed to execute (yet) and the workers are in
> limbo (and in their guts they feel it). If workers took the clues and
> left, or if management made swift decisions, everyone would be better
> off. Unfirtunately senior management often second guesses itself,
> middle management holds on with disbelief or optimism, and the regular
> guys get screwed.
>
> People say the rats are the first off a sinking ship because they can
> smell the future. The truth is the holds at the bottom of the ship
> fill with water first, causing the rats to run for dry land while
> everyone else waits around unaware that the holds are full of water
> and the ship is sinking.

What bothers me though, is often the workers are sacrificed for
short-term gain (especially in public companies that have to appease
that whore called "Wall Street"). But what makes it especially evil, is
that most of management get to line their own pockets with the money
they have saved rather than invest better in a smaller workforce. There
are other ways of saving money that do not involve removing loyalty from
the workplace and building bigger chasms between ployers and employees.

--
Aj.
Systems Administrator / Developer