[nycphp-talk] Pitching PHP to a Java House

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Thu Jun 9 09:15:42 EDT 2005

I think one of the answer avenues here is that for raw competitive purposes,
the single developer/small shop should deliver PHP and JAVA
and be able to handle the maximum diversity of the client's needs.

>From my experiences in corporate environments with competing technologies
setting in, the most successful shop/developer/IT manager
in the mix has a handle on the broadest array of technologies at play and
manages and delivers the thoroughbred mix.

The corp will/must go where it needs and the emps typically need to ratchet
to match.

I feel independent work works out best when one really focuses gangbusters
on what one does best and delivers it in spades and fast. When the client
really
doesn't want your stuff, you leave your portfolio/card and you must nail the
next client that wants your stuff now.

I think PHP would benefit most from making/delivering compatibility
extensions/strategies that embrace (I mean, just swallow up) what JAVA puts
out.
And then PHP moves on, shoulder to shoulder with JAVA taking all it can give
and sucking up more marketplace nonetheless.

So that in theory the discussion becomes more how do we get our JAVA to
maximize its integration with PHP which is just obviously such
an incredible monster everywhere product.

Of course, I have not yet jumped on the continuing JAVA up tick myself. But
I think if I add a new technology to my personal portfolio (and I want to
keep my technologies very portable and very web related), JAVA would be
next.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec
Technology Director