[nycphp-talk] Apache 1.3.x Upgrade to 2.0 Primer Needed

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Tue Nov 29 10:46:03 EST 2005

csnyder wrote on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:16 AM:
> On 11/28/05, Peter Sawczynec <ps at pswebcode.com> wrote:
> > Finally got to do this.
> >
> > I'm seeking best primer that highlights the differences between
> > httpd.conf directives and techniques when upgrading from 1.3 to 2.0 in
> > a *nix environment.
> >
> > Additionally, more specifically, if the OS is Solaris would you
> > configure Apache2 with mpm set to worker, prefork, or perchild.
> >

> Prefork, as Tim pointed out. Sorry you can't use those threads.

It's not the OS in this case, but rather PHP.  Depending on the version of
PHP, thread support is getting better, but I wouldn't want to play with it
in production for no good reason.  Go with Prefork as Snyder points out.

> Let us know what you find, Peter. Aside from choosing which mpm to
> use, I tend to think that there aren't any significant configuration
> differences, but I can't actually back that up with empirical
> evidence.
>
> Of course, you'll need to compile PHP with a slightly different switch
> ( --with-apxs2 ) to use the Apache2 Server API.

Things are basically the same in terms of configuration.  Which brings up
the classic question; if you're using prefork, and don't need any of the
extras Apache has to offer (not related to PHP), then why use Apache 2?  :)

Apache 2 could have some benefit to PHP, but unfortunately there isn't much
movement on that front and most Apache 2 deployments with PHP are basically
made to run as close to Apache 1 as possible.

---
Hans Zaunere / President / New York PHP
   www.nyphp.org  /  www.nyphp.com