[nycphp-talk] OT: SEO: different hosts?

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Sat Aug 12 14:07:59 EDT 2006

Warren Myers volcimaster-at-gmail.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

> I've seen a lot of BAD search engine optimization advice - and very
> little GOOD.
> Hosting the blogs on the same server shouldn't matter, though, as
> places like Blogger and WordPress.com do it all the time. And both
> host some blogs that score high on searches, and others that don't.
> From my understanding of Google's technical information, and personal
> experience, a lot of your search hits are going to come from how many
> people link to you, and how much traffic you get - not what server
> you're hosted on.
>
> WMM

Let's not forget that SEO is search engine "optimization". Doing pretty
good or even very good is not optimal, it's good or very good. You move
to SEO when you want to be competitive i.e. purposefully take steps
designed to get you to rank above the other guy.

I think that's why alot of "SEO advice" is useless. "Search engine
friendly" is not SEO, it's good webmastering. In this case, doing what
wordpress does because it hasn't hurt them is not SEO. In fact,
Wordpress uses subdomains for it's own commercial purposes (not for the
benefit of the bloggers) which is optimiation in the other direction as
far as the blogger is concerned. Why try to be like Wordpress?

It is fact that your website will be ranked for it's "trustworthiness"
if and when it is competitive in it's niche in the search engine results
pages. That may involve many factors that Google has determined indicate
trustworthiness. One thing that can hurt your trust weighting is being
on server with spammers. Another is cross linking multiple sites on the
same theme, which is easily detected if the sites have the same WHOIS
data, use the same js or templates, or share the same IP or server. None
of these are "triggers" as far as I know, but are factors for
consideration when and if your site is considered for it's
trustworthiness. That can happen when you achieve a top rank, or when
somene questions your worth, or at other times. It can also happen
automatically when the algorithms are tested or updated.

Hosting on one server matters if it impacts your performance, your
apparent trustworthiness, or if you are doing anything sketchy and such
hosting makes it easy to suspect that you are.