[nycphp-talk] Working with PDF

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Fri Jun 9 14:17:31 EDT 2006

Aaron Fischer wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm beginning a project that will involve creating PDF documents.  So
> far my research has turned up PDFlib
> (http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdf.php) and FPDF (http://www.fpdf.org/).
>
> So far it seems that FPDF will do what I need.  It has the added benefit
> of being free (as opposed to PDFlib which would run at least $450).
>
> Have folks used FPDF?  Would you recommend it?
>
> Are there are any other means to generate PDF that you would recommend?

I would heartily recommend the R&OS pdf class:

http://www.ros.co.nz/pdf/

It's broadly similar to fpdf and I've used it on several different
projects without any problems.

Another approach that could work very well for what you're describing is
to use fdf/xfdf to dynamically fill fields in an existing pdf document.

There are quite a few good examples of this to be found in the book
PDFHacks by Sid Steward, with an online example and source code
available here:

http://pdfhacks.com/form_session/

Dan