[nycphp-talk] Trying to use Paypal 100% as merchant account

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Wed Jun 28 13:40:24 EDT 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, edward potter wrote:

> ok, i know it's not a real merchant account, but as a quick project, I
> just want to have Paypal go DIRECTLY fo a CC screen.
>
> I'm set up as a merchant account, yet I always get lead into Paypal
> trying to sign me up for  a new Paypal account, or having me pay using
> my Paypal account.

You can't do this. Even if you adopt the more advanced APIs (see other
messages in the thread), you must legally also offer payments via
PayPal.

In general, this is a good idea, as sites that offer both have higher
completion rates than one that just offer credit card
payments. (PayPal has done tests of what happens when existing sites
with just credit cards processing add in a PayPal option.)

If you're looking for a credit card only option, you need to get
merchant account. (AFAIK.) One such option is Verisign's payment
processing unit, which, oddly enough, is now part of PayPal. :)

http://www.verisign.com/products-services/payment-processing/index.html

-adam

--
adam at trachtenberg.com | http://www.trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"