[nycphp-talk] LDAP for web authorization?

Tim Sailer sailer at bnl.gov
Thu Nov 2 09:39:20 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 09:30:35AM -0500, csnyder wrote:
> As for LDAP administration front-ends, anybody have any suggestions? I
> heard good things about the Netscape Directory console that was
> supposed to be open-sourced last year, but I could never figure out
> where or how to download and install it.

That all depends on what you are trying to do with LDAP. Simple account
admin and maybe lookups for email? You can do it by hand or with a basic
PHP page or three. I rolled out LDAP to work with Exim for about 6000 users
in about 3 days.

www.padl.com has very excellent migration tools to go from flat files
to LDAP, and they wrote some of the software like nss_ldap and the
ldap PAM stuff.

I have some crufty old PHP code I slammed together in a few hours
about 4-5 years ago that will show how to manipulate the attributes
for mail aliases, if you want to see some real basic stuff. It's not
code that I'm proud of, but it served the purpose way back when, to
get basic tools out to the admins and helplessdesk.

Tim

--
Tim Sailer <sailer at bnl.gov>
DoE Intelligence and Counterintelligence - Cyber Division