[nycphp-talk] So who's using Ajax anway?

Dell Sala dell at sala.ca
Thu Nov 9 10:39:22 EST 2006

I've had a very positive experience with AJAX, and I'm starting to
use it everywhere. It had a big impact on the maintainability of my
code. It's pretty cool how it enforces the separation of business and
presentation concerns. You application deploys an interface to the
browser. Then, a lot of the functionality can be implemented as a
private web-service which your interface communicates with. It
becomes very easy to keep your services generic and presentation free.

One time it really saved my ass: I had an interface that needed the
equivalent of select field for which there were over 200,000 choices.
Obviously a plain select field wasn't going to cut it. The user
really needed to run a search across those items first to narrow down
the choices, then make the selection. This field was just one of
several just like it on a single form that had plenty of other stuff
going on too. Imagine trying to deal with all this as full post-backs
to the server every time you needed to update the interface before
submitting the full form. Not fun. Your code is going to be messy.
But AJAX made that all go away.

-- Dell