[nycphp-talk] OT: Recommendations for web hosting services with extremely good uptimes?

Rob Marscher rmarscher at beaffinitive.com
Wed Nov 15 13:05:03 EST 2006

I was always happy with Pair Networks uptime.  I think maybe there was a
couple minutes of downtime that I noticed once in the 5 years I've had a
shared hosting account with them.  Here's their statement: "Our network
is monitored and maintained 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Our
server and network uptime is well in excess of 99.9%. Your data is
backed up daily to ensure full recovery in the event of a disaster. Our
entire facility is protected by multi-stage security, FM-200 fire
suppression systems, Powerware battery backup systems, and a 750,000
watt diesel generator that can run indefinitely. Your data is always
safe with pair Networks."

However, I recently switched to Empowering Media because I liked the
10for10 developer hosting account that they offer.  Fits what I
personally need more than the Pair accounts.  They claim 99.5% uptime
for their shared accounts.  I haven't been on the shared account long
enough to say from experience... but I know that they're good people
over there from having worked with them on other managed servers for my
company.  The only way to ensure absolute 100% uptime would be to spring
for some kind of managed hosting where you have servers in multiple data
centers.  Empowering Media can do this and I'm sure there are many other
hosting providers that do the same thing... but I'm pretty sure that
would cost a lot more than you're looking to spend.

-Rob