[nycphp-talk] DOC to PDF conversion on a LAMP system?

Allen Shaw ashaw at polymerdb.org
Fri Oct 6 13:36:24 EDT 2006

Hi Stephen,

Best I've been able to do is get my .doc files into RTF format, and then
go from RTF to PDF using Ted.  But going from .doc to RTF (or from .doc
to *anything*) without MS-Word itself (which I presume isn't running on
your Unix web server) -- that's going to be tough, and probably
impossible, unless you either have fairly generic page layouts, or
you're not highly concerned about losing some level of formatting.  And
still, I'm not aware of any command line tool that will convert files
from .doc format.

Wish I could offer more, but then I also wish I had *found* more, as I
too would love to be able to automate conversion from MS-Word to PDF
without Windows and Word.

- Allen

Stephen Musgrave wrote:
> I am hoping for some direction here, other efforts have come up
> fruitless.  Thanks in advance!
>
> Here's what we need:
>
> We have files on a Unix web server in various formats, the foremost is
> Word DOC.  We have a script that runs in PHP that gathers all of the
> documents and creates a PDF document stuffs the files in there.  But the
> problem is that we can't stuff a Word document into a PDF document
> without first converting it to a PDF.  What I will need to be able to do
> is covert that document via PHP or PHP's command line capability
> (presumably using the exec() command).  We will then return control to
> our compilation script, pull in the newly converted file and then we're
> done.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Stephen Musgrave
> *capellic