[nycphp-talk] Cake v. Symfony

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Thu Sep 7 15:17:31 EDT 2006

Well, it *looks* (emphasis because I haven't actually tried) as though
it's a PITA if not impossible to install Symfony in a subdir of a shared
hosting account. And that's a potential deal breaker for the project I
have to do.

inforequest: I thought you were a big Rails fan and Rails is so big on
convention over configuration, and Cake is very much in that -- tradition?
whatever -- whereas Symfony, it appears, makes you write or at least
edit reams of YAML. I know, I gotta experience it (nudge nudge).

Anyway, now I am persuing Solar, just to placate the shameless
self-promoters around here (-:

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Paul M Jones wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 1:01 PM, inforequest wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Yes, David, maybe Symfony is better (nudge nudge) and maybe cleaner
> > (nudge), or easier to follow without docs (nudge nudge) or perhaps the
> > docs are more complete. I can't *tell* you these things with mere
> > words;
> > you need to *experence* them (nudge nudge) in order to fully
> > appreciate
> > the symfony/cake comparisons (nudge nudge). Oh, and be sure to report
> > back to the talk list, ok?   ;-)
>
> [self-promotion] As long as we're examining frameworks, Solar <http://
> solarphp.com> may bear scrutiny as well. [/self-promotion]

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their
persons, houses, papers, and effects, against
unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be
violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon
probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation,
and particularly describing the place to be
searched, and the persons or things to be seized.