[nycphp-talk] Good Crediting Practices

Gary Mort bz-gmort at beezifies.com
Fri Aug 17 09:24:18 EDT 2007

I'm planning on some major rewrites to an existing GPL application.

I'd say that of the application, I will be extending, enhancing, or
changing between 30 and 60 % of the application, including the program
name for compatible reasons(the two modules must be able to be run in
the same master program simultaneously, so a lot of classes and
functions need to be changed to differentiate them)

What is the best way to note my code and provide the proper credit?

The current header has the program name, filename, version, and
identifcation information of the current author(all GPL).

My own tendency would be to place my header underneath the existing one,
however the version information would be different, so I want to give
prominent credit to the original author, while still maintaining
identification information.

The current header is as follows:
//
// Copyright (C) 2006 Thomas Papin
// http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU/GPL

// This file is part of the AdsManager Component,
// a Joomla! Classifieds Component by Thomas Papin
// Email: thomas.papin at free.fr
//

I'm thinking the best course would be:

// Adsmanager Extended
// Based on:
//--------------
//
// Email: thomas.papin at free.fr
//--------------
// Changes and Extentions
// Copyright (C) 2007 Gary Mort
// http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU/GPL
// This file extends and enhances the AdsManager Component,
// it can be installed stand alone, or alongside AdsManager

But that looks confusing to me.  Should I just stick all my new text
below the existing notice?

Obviously, throughout the program I can mark my changes to the code
where appropriate.

Just wondering what is considered best/common practice.