[nycphp-talk] Strange chars coming from forms

Christopher R. Merlo cmerlo at ncc.edu
Mon Feb 12 10:51:43 EST 2007

On 2/12/07, Aaron Fischer <agfische at email.smith.edu> wrote:

> I notice some funny characters occasionally when some of my web forms
> are submitted.  Examples include stuff like:
>
> Somebody submitted "word" and I get ?word?

This example in particular makes me think that maybe someone is copying and
pasting from, say, Word, with "smart" quotes.

Somebody submitted time and I get t! me

That seems like the kind of thing (and I'm spitballing here) you might get
from copying text from a PDF/PS document made with LaTeX, where the "ti"
form a digraph.  You might get the same thing from words like "if".

HTH.
-c