[nycphp-talk] Ownership of Code

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Thu Jan 11 19:14:59 EST 2007

My contract states explicitly and without question that the code is
solely owned by Secure Data Software, who are free to do with it
whatever they want.  This may sound extreme or unreasonable, but it is
the only way to move forward as a custom shop, otherwise you end up in
the hall of mirrors trying to figure what line of code belongs to whom
and why it was written and when and what if you copy-n-pasted it and
what if its just a coincidence and what if every other line spells out
the name of the third Holy Roman emperor?  So, to keep it simple, I can
give customer X anything he needs, because everything I did for customer
X-1, and X-2, and X-3, back to customer zero, belongs to SDS.

The same contract also states that the customer enjoys a perpetual
license to use the software.  This is all they really want.  They can
use it forever with no further obligation, this way they are not trapped
or vulnerable.

Going off into other areas, while Andromeda is a GPL'd product, a
commercial license is required if SDS is going to provide support and code.

There are many ways you can do it.