[nycphp-talk] Ownership of Code

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Thu Jan 11 21:51:04 EST 2007

There is an even harder part to this topic ... things that I have
written have always stayed w/ the client and even when I was not
freelance it was still really 'work for hire' ... *but* you can work
yourself into a bind because some larger media companies (like a
Viacom) will have really strict guidelines and when you spend say 2-3
years working on backend CMS/Flash applications its hard to show your
work when trying for another gig.  The real gem other companies seem
to want to see is nice/clean "reusable" OO code, which is just that,
"reused" from your previous experience.  Every developer has their
own toolkit filled w/ libraries that do the job they are asked or
they end up on PEAR, Zend, etc and reuse something else.  In open
source I find it extremely hard to find things which another company
can rightfully claim as the "owner".

It's probably more of an advantage to ask a company what their
license really is and if they don't have one, go to http://
www.opensource.org/licenses/ and pick one or come up with one
*before* starting so you know where you stand.

Good topic/discussion though.

- Jon