[nycphp-talk] Javascript & PHP

PaulCheung paulcheung at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 06:21:28 EDT 2007

I have to thank everybody for helping me and I do appreciate all the help I
also take onboard that it is difficult to debug anything you cannot see. So
I have included 3 files the HTML with JavaScript in, another HTML with the
JavaScript stripped out and (I would not insult Mickey Mouse) a PHP test
script to echo back what has been entered. albeit only the first field using
"HELLO WORLD".

The objective of the JavaScript is to achieve word-processing style text
wraparound upto to a max length (in this case 255 characters, being a nice
round computer number and exceeding the maximum single text length of most
peoples screens) all simply because HTML does appear to support text
wraparound and maximum length (TEXTAREA MAXLENGTH). I have been told some it
can and by others it cannot I have even been pointed to the 1x1 pixel trick
which I don't really understand.

My goal is to talk clientside to serverside keep users focused instead of
just truncating without their knowledge and by doing so keep them on my side
and keep my i/o and processing down to a minimum thus avoiding things such
as bottleneck and keep traffic flowing as smoothly as possible.

Paul