[nycphp-talk] Questions to ask at a job interview?

Steve Manes smanes at magpie.com
Thu Jun 28 10:40:11 EDT 2007

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyline) wrote:
> Now, the position being filled is that of an entry level programmer.
> I do not expect this person to be well trained in PHP/MySQL,
> but they must have a pretty strong understanding of programming
> methodologies in general (they are a college grad - CIS).
>
> So, again, what are some good metrics I can use to test these
> perspective employees?

Start with general logic tasks at the white board, like reversing a
string in place.  Then inverting all the words in a sentence like "I
really hate taking tests", then reversing the letters in all the words
in a sentence.  This should be done language-agnostic (no strrchr() or
reverse()).  What I'm mostly interested in learning is how the applicant
problem-solves.